Tuesday 24 June 2014

The Fault in Our Stars (2014) Movie Review

I want to clarify that I have not read the original novel by John Green. I read 2005's Looking for Alaska years ago, which was good, but Fault in Our Stars is a book which has a larger appeal. Spread all across the internet, with social media sites filled with major spoilers for the film, Fault was a film highly anticipated - opening to $48m at the US box office. Due to the big appeal it had, I wanted to go in without reading the book and judging the film as a film without considering the original aspects. But it's possible that all the coverage, particularly with major aspects of the film, has brought the film down, as I didn't enjoy the film as much as I could of. Whilst just about everyone in my screening sniffled and broke down into tears when all the major scenes in the third act occurs, I looked around in bewilderment with my dry eyes.

Now, I'm not saying the film is bad. It's not, there is a lot to like about it. The direction is good enough to play through the film, with the occasional artsy shot against narration from one of the characters fitting in with the rest of the film's imagery, so Josh Boone does do a good job. Ansel Elgort (Augustus Waters) and Shailene Woodley are likable leads amongst a good cast, but an unfortunately underused Willem Dafoe does bring the film down slightly with his rather off character. Yes, it follows the "never meet your idol" belief, but perhaps a bit too harshly. Outside of that, the cast do well. If any awards were to be given to them, it will likely be in viewer-nominated ceremonies like previous teen hits Twilight and The Hunger Games.

The film revolves almost entirely around the romance between Woodley and Elgort, two cancer patients who may fall further ill at any time, something which is thrown in from time to time to remind the audience that these characters are always at risk. And as great as this aspect is against all other romance films, it is still a generic romance film. You get the initial coldness from one of the characters, you get the big first kiss, you get a child-friendly sex moment, all that jazz. All it needed was a break up midway through and reunited at the end and it would be no different to the others. Yes, it's done really well and in a different manner, but it doesn't successfully hide these aspects. There is a minor subplot revolving around Nat Wolff (Isaac) which does give more of a comedic aspect to the film, but again I was in the minority as I sat in silence. He does a great job, but I couldn't get into his or the other characters' stories even in the face of death. It was incredibly sidelined and is only brought up twice within the film.

I couldn't get invested into The Fault in Our Stars. Whilst it had all the elements to be a great film and was unique, it still follows the same conventions as other films within its genre. Add some comedy which really doesn't fit into the film and some scenes which clearly crave emotional responses by the audience, and a small handful of moments did make my face abuzz with bewilderment, and it did make me a bit bored. But it's clear that I'm in the minority, as critics and audiences seem to eating this film up. Am I heartless? Possibly, but by no means is that worthy to criticise John Green's work, which clearly is popular. After all, I am only one viewer against the millions of adorers. Again, I'm not against the book, just this film adaptation, and it's likely that I'll give the book a chance. But for me, the film is quite simply okay.

Okay?

6/10.

The Fault in Our Stars is now in cinemas in the UK and US.

No comments:

Post a Comment